Tuesday, March 29, 2022

FLAVORS OF SOCIAL MEDIA: SIGNAL Messaging App. (Week 9)

 


                           https://itsfoss.com/signal-messaging-app/


What is Signal?

    So, you may be asking what is the Signal messaging app and why should you try it? Well, it's a free, privacy focused messaging and voice talk app in which you can use on Apple or Android smartphones and via desktop too. 


 Pros of SIGNAL

The first thing I noticed was how often the word "privacy" was mentioned when discussing Signal. I always worry about my privacy when it comes to social media. I am an individual who likes to keep life simple and less is more. To have 10+ app's or social media outlets gets a bit overwhelming for me. I am one for Facebook which my kids inform me daily that it's because I am old. 😂I am always willing to try something new if it will aid me in relieving some stress and staying organized though. With Signal your message history is stored locally on the device used and not on the Signal's servers. I know with using Alexa and even when searching Facebook, it seems we are being watched. I could search something random and for the next week I will see ads and popups for that item. It's quite annoying. Because Signal doesn't access this data it can not be shared with third parties which is nice. The first thing noted was how Signal is non-profit. I 100% support non-profit businesses of any kind. Last but not least was the idea of having everything within one app. I can video chat, send photos, send link or conversate and it's private and secure!


Cons of signal

The down side is that you have to register using a phone number. In turn this means that your phone number is being passed on. Also, I am happy with Facebook messenger and my good ole' text messaging. I hate adding yet another icon/app on my phone screen. I think we live in a time where the entire world is into social media regardless of the app and it takes away from personal, one on one interaction which is so important. 


Conclusion

I must admit I had never previously heard about the Signal messaging app. I did some research and over all I do plan to look into it and possibly give it a try but I can't promise I will continue using it long-term. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

HOOTSUITE CERTIFICATION BLOG POST GRADE (week 15)

 💪 Hootsuite 👈  Up until I started my spring semester at LCCC, I had never heard about Hootsuite. I had moments were the site was pretty b...